Shaving. Tweezing. Waxing. Ugh. There’s a lot of time and money that goes into removing unwanted body hair, but what if there was a permanent solution?
Laser hair removal is a virtually painless medical procedure that can be conducted almost anywhere on the body to remove unwanted body hair, including the legs, underarms, upper lip, chin and bikini line.
How Laser Hair Removal Works
Laser hair removal is a medical procedure that uses a laser to remove unwanted hair. The laser is a pulsing beam of light that travels at a fraction of a second and passes through the skin to an individual hair follicle. The heat from the laser damages the hair follicle so that the hair cannot grow in the future. Depending on the size of the area being treated, a session can last anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour and it may take several session to remove all of the unwanted hair. After a session, the skin may feel and look sunburned for the next couple of days. Cool compresses and moisturizers may help with irritation. Over the next month, treated hair will begin to fall out.
Candidates for Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal works best for people who have light skin and dark hair. This is because the laser beam targets the melanin, or pigment, in the hair. Advances in technology have made it easier for people with darker skin to undergo laser hair removal, but it still may be less effective. For those with white, gray, red or blonde hair, laser hair removal is typically less effective. Before undergoing laser hair removal, consult with your doctor about how effective laser hair removal will be for you.
Shaving vs. Laser Hair Removal
Below you’ll find a few of the pros and cons to shaving and laser hair removal so you can make an informed decision when it comes to getting rid of your unwanted hair.
- Cheap: Of all hair removal options, shaving is generally the cheapest in the short time.
- Quick: Shaving provides instant satisfaction, whereas laser hair removal requires multiple sessions for complete results.
- Flexible: You can remove hair on your own time and you can choose whether to have hair in certain regions or not – the decision is not permanent.
- Not permanent: You will notice hair the next day, or sooner!
- Time consuming: 5-10 minutes every day can really add up (72 Days in your lifetime are spent shaving believe it or not).
- Knicks and cuts: Constant cuts can be annoying and affect quality of your skin.
Laser Hair Removal
- Effective: After about 5 sessions, 80-90% of hair is permanently reduced or removed.
- Long-Lasting: It can be months or even years before you see the hair again, if at all (Results vary among patients).
- Convenient: No more cutting yourself shaving or tearing your skin with wax. Just a few quick and virtually pain-free sessions and you’ll be hairless wherever you choose to be.
- Long-term Savings: Laser Hair Removal will cost the patient less over his or her lifetime when compared to shaving or waxing.
- Up-front costs (in the short-term): Laser Hair Removal tends to cost more than other hair removal techniques due to the necessary number of sessions in the short time. Med Spa, however, has competitive pricing as well as no-interest patient financing available. However, in the long-run you save money compared to what you spend on razors (which is nearly $10,000 in a lifetime).
- May be painful: Depending on your pain tolerance, getting laser hair removal can feel like a slight pinch, or a hot snap. Again, this varies from patient to patient and many tell us it’s not painful at all.
- Requires multiple sessions: Unfortunately laser hair removal is not a one-stop-shop. For effective results, multiple sessions are required to fully eliminate the hair follicle.
What does it feel like to have laser hair removal?
When you arrive for your session, your hair will be trimmed to a few millimeters above the skin surface. During your session, you will need to wear eye protection. You will also have to protect the outer layers of your skin with a cooling gel or special cooling device. Depending on the area being treated, there may be no pain or the laser may feel uncomfortable. After, you may experience skin irritation. This usually only lasts for a few hours and may include discomfort, redness or swelling.
What results can I expect from laser hair removal?
The results of laser hair removal vary from person to person. Depending on your body and the area being treated, it may take anywhere from six to 12 sessions to see full results. Because laser hair removal works on hair in the active stage, it may take several sessions to target all of the hair. Despite the number of treatments a person undergoes, hair regrowth is still possible.
How do I prepare for a laser hair removal session?
Before your laser hair removal session, you should avoid tweezing, electrolysis and waxing for up to six weeks. The lasers target the hairs’ roots, which are temporarily removed if you tweeze or wax the area. However, shaving is still allowed since it does not affect the hair follicle. You should also avoid the sun before and after your session. A tan may increase the risk of side effects such as skin lightening.
How long do results last?
Lasers can remove hair for anywhere from several months to years (results differ widely from person to person).Because of new technology, 80-90% or better reduction is often possible.
Is the procedure painful?
Well, that depends a bit on your pain tolerance. Lasers can typically feel like a gentle pinch or the snap of a hot rubber band. Overall, many patients do not refer to the procedure as painful in any way.
Is it expensive?
For laser hair removal to be effective, multiple sessions are often required. The price of each session depends on the size of the treated area. For an accurate price, it’s best to schedule your free consultation so we can inform you of all the details of the procedure. Our goal at Med Spa is to provide individualized care at the most competitive prices.